Friday, January 18, 2008

Busses and early mornings

My word, it's been a whole week since I last posted...feels like just yesterday that I was writing something for the blog. Time continues to fly by and I have a hard time believing that I'm soon going to be reaching the halfway point in my time here. Somehow I've been keeping busy, although I haven't been doing much out of the ordinary.
Flying has been pretty regular for the past week or so. There seems to have been a rash of bad bus accidents...two days in a row we had calls from hospitals saying they had 4+ patients from a bus accident that needed transport (first one from Hukuntsi, the second from Maun). Luckily, the two pilots who were off on the day of the Hukuntsi accident happened to be around town, and they scrambled to bring the second airplane so we could take two stretcher patients in a short time. Dan and I had already been on a flight earlier, so left from Francistown where we dropped the first patient and met the other airplane in Hukuntsi. As we loaded the patients there, we had the biggest crowd of spectators that I've seen yet, and we had to keep pushing them back so the paramedics had room to move the patients and eventually so we could start up and taxi out. The next day, Matt and I went to Maun when they called with their bus accident...we managed to squeeze two stretchers into the King Air (normally we only take one stretcher at a time), and the rest of the 6 patients who needed transport were eventually taken by road.
And then the last two days we both had late night calls, with the result that we left at daybreak both days for flights. So between all of that, I'm feeling pretty beat and ready for some sleep. But I'm still loving the flying, and all is well on this side of the globe. Peace...
Travis

No comments: